THIS WEB SITE IS NO LONGER UPDATED,GO TO OUR NEW WEBSITE:
The Quequechan Club was organized November 22, 1894 by a group of nine gentlemen. At their first meeting, the group authorized one of their number, Mr. Fredrick O. Dodge, to purchase a clubhouse. The property that he purchased, located on North Main Street, was known as the William Mason Estate.
On December 15, 1894, the club was incorporated, and four days later the Executive Committee voted to purchase the Mason Estate from Mr. Dodge. The house was completely renovated and enlarged to nearly the present size of the main Clubhouse. In 1910, the part of the dining room on the west side of the columns was added. At the same time, the “Billiard Room”, currently known as the Mount Hope Room, was enlarged by the addition of the bay windows on the west side.
In June 1919, the Club purchased the Dr. Hubert Wilbur property, which was located due south and adjacent to the former William Mason Estate. After alterations and additions, this property was opened in June 1920, and was known then as the “Ladies Annex.” This portion of the building is now known as the “Priscilla Rooms.”
Through the years, as additions were made, the Club’s home-like atmosphere was carefully preserved. Some of the original furnishings are still in use, such as the grandfather clock at the main entrance, which is dated July 1, 1895. The bowling alleys, located on the lower level of the club, were built in 1895 by local contractor, Nathaniel Smith, and are home to the longest existing league on the East Coast.
In March of 1999, three members, Daniel Bogan, Daniel Silva, and Paul Silva, purchased the club with the intention of preserving the past and keeping the Quequechan Club as the premier dining and special occasion establishment in the Fall River area. Recent renovations include the addition of a casual pub on the lower level equipped with the original billiards tables from the second floor, as well as various cosmetic improvements to the Mount Hope room as well as the rest of the club. Our staff would be glad to answer any questions regarding membership or planning a special function, and can be reached in the club office at 508.679.6433 or through our website (click Contact).